Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft mkraft is offline

Default How tell whether footnote reference is a reference v. cross-refere

Hmm, I don't know what the problem is (i.e., no replies). Maybe my post
wasn't clear.

OK, second try:

If you see a footnote number -- e.g., in a table column -- how can you tell
whether it's the original footnote reference or a cross-reference (to the
same footnote as the original footnote reference)? For example, a
superscripted number 4 -- it could be a footnote (i.e., footnote 4), but it
could also be a cross-reference that was created to refer to footnote 4.

These will look exactly the same, so how, if at all, can you tell you've got
the 'footnote' and not the 'cross reference' to the footnote?

Thanks.

------------------
"mkraft" wrote:

Footnote 'references' look the same as 'cross-references' to the same
footnotes. I understand the logic there -- you want more than one reference
to the same footnote, one that will also update with any removal of existing
footnotes, or addition of new ones.

But how can you be sure whether you are looking at the footnote or the
cross-reference?

Is there any other way besides searching/hunting for the first instance of
each footnote number (or letter, etc.)? In a complex table with many
footnotes and cross-references to footnotes, that can become rather tedious.

Thanks.