Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Life without Section Breaks?

I'm sorry, but as I understand the English language, if something is
categorized as only true under certain conditions it is implicitly false
under any other conditions. Perhaps we can debate what constitutes a
"complex" vs. "simple" document, but in the context of the thread it would
still be subjective as to where the document in question might fall.

The fact remains, though, that the imposition of Continuous section breaks
-- or any other type -- neither inherently disrupts the continuity of
Headers or Footers, nor interferes with page numbering. Further, it makes
absolutely no difference whether the CSBs span a single empty paragraph or
multiple pages... or even whether there are several CSBs on a single page.

I don't doubt that you may have had to "fix such documents", but it isn't
the fault of the section breaks that the documents needed fixing. It's how
the sections were mangled that caused the breakage.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/2/10 3:20 PM, in article a8f02e1f70c60@uwe, "Pamelia Caswell via
OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote:

I wrote "what you say is only true for simple documents". Not that what you
said was untrue. Office User said "Having trouble keeping the headers and
page numbering fluid/consecutive across section breaks" and explained that he
has double and single column sections. Okay, I inferred that some of the
sections are continuous. I often have to fix such documents. The clients
haven't a clue.

Pam

CyberTaz wrote:
What, exactly, of what I wrote is 'untrue'?

Have you any idea how many "if"s & conditional statements you've included in
this contradiction, Pam? There's absolutely no indication in Office User's
description that *any* of those complexities are wanted or needed. In fact,
the desire to keep the document "simple" is the point - That's exactly what
the OP is striving for as indicated in the statement "Having trouble keeping
the headers and page numbering fluid/consecutive across section breaks". The
subject document is a 10-12 page report, not a 500 page technical manual.

Complexity is imposed by a user deviating from the defaults... Often
unnecessarily.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/1/10 5:22 PM, in article a8e4abf464b4a@uwe, "Pamelia Caswell via
OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote:

CyberTaz, what you say is only true for simple documents. Header/footer
behavior is complicated and difficult to troubleshoot in complex documents

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.