Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Inserting page numbers

After you deleted the page number box, did you close the Header and go to
Insert | Page Numbers and choose the new location, then click OK? This would
give the result you want, though I personally would not touch this dialog
with a barge pole. I would instead click on the Switch Between Header and
Footer button on the Header and Footer toolbar, to get to the footer pane.
Then I would click the Insert Page Number button on the H&F toolbar and
press Ctrl+E to center the number (or Tab once to place the number at the
center tab stop).

"G.G. Biggar, Jr." wrote in message
This has typically been a simple task -- until recently. (I am using

Office
2000.)

On an existing document, I recently wanted to change the location of
existing page numbers from the upper right-hand corner to the center at

the
bottom of the page. This required that I activate the header on the

second
page (there was no page number placed on the first page) in order to

delete
the box where the page number appeared. However, when using Insert\Page
Numbers, my changes to relocate the page numbers are not reflected in the
document. Perhaps, it has something to do with the method by which I
deleted the original page numbers.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Regards,

Gordon Biggar