Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word 2003/2007 Add in tool bar

sheila4typing wrote:
Graham,
Sorry if I am a little slow at this; however 2007 is new to me.
OK, lets forget about the 2003 version then.
I did not follow your exact instruction, actually by mistaken and it
appears to be working, so I am a little confused.
Explain this to me.
I took the dot file; which had the add-in tab when I received the
file and dropped it into D:\Documents and
Settings\e183540\ApplicationData\Microsoft\Word\ST ARTUP. Opened it
up and it appears to be working. Then I took the other file, remaned
it a dot; which is the updated file that when I open on my desktop
did not have the add-in. I dropped the file in the same location as
the other and it now has the Add-in and appears to be working. Maybe
they were both done in 2007, I really don't know since I did not do
either of these files. You were saying to make it a dotm file to be
able to run the Macros; which I assume is the icons in the Add-in Tab?

No that is not what I am saying. The dot files will work as supplied without
modification (on both Word 2003 and 2007) - which is what you appear to have
done so far - provided that the macros they contain are compatible with
2007. Any custom toolbars contained in those templates will appear on the
add-ins tab - http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm .

If you modify the templates in Word 2007 and save them as DOTM format, you
will probably lose the toolbar commands (as there are no toolbars in Word
2007) and you would have to edit the ribbon to replace them. Renaming a dot
file as dotm or vice versa does not change its format. You would have to
save it as dot or dotm to do that. As you have it working with the templates
in DOT format. Leave it alone.