Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default breaking passwords on discs containing Word docs

There are two issues here - accessing the files and accessing the protected
documents. The first can be overcome by copying the discs to flash memory
and then you can copy them to the hard drive to access them (DON'T access
then from the flash memory).

If you don't know the passwords to open the documents, the chances of
opening them are slim to non-existent. The documents are encrypted and you
need the password to break the encryption. - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm

Water and Trees wrote:
In 1994 I prepared documents saving them to 3 1/2" discs. Recently
found the discs (there's a whole box) and would like to access them.
No slot on my current computer for them, but have a friend whose
computer does still allow discs. My problem is wanting to by-pass the
passwords I set for myself back in 1994.

These are basic Word documents and there may be a few WordPerfect
documents on these discs as well. I just want to get by the
passwords and get to the documents.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks,