Peyton Todd

Wow. My degree is actually in psycholinguistics, not linguistics per se,
where I'm more of an autodidacte. I never even heard of those alphabets you
mention!

I turns out that Word lets you scrunch up the line spacing a whole lot so I
can fit the characters in.

Thanks for your help.

Peyton

"Jezebel" wrote:

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
Thanks, Jezebel. I'll try those fixes. However, there will still be a

couple
of problems.

1. Am I limited to finite point sizes? If so, then (I haven't tried it

yet,
so I don't know, but I suspect) I could still end up with something that
looks crappy. Like I said, I don't know yet, but it might be I'll be

caught
between something which looks too much like double-spacing, and something
where the symbol characters are still too small compared to the regular

text.

Well you certainly can't have infinite ones ... Word can handle point
sizes in half point increments.

2. It's not just the printing I have to worry about. This book will also

be
an e-book. It has to be because it's about a subject whose intonation
patterns will be crucial, and readers will need to hear them. In fact,

since
ASL (American Sign Language of the deaf) is also involved, there'll be

lots
of little video clips. So the result has to look good both in print and in

PDF.

Yes, the fonts were free. Do you know if there's one I could pay for that
would meet my needs? Where would I look? Bear in mind that it's not just

any
character set we're talking about. The characters of the International
Phonetic Alphabet are very different from what most people are familiar

with.
They include what looks like an upside down 'V', an upside down 'e', both

the
'a' like the one I just did and a version that looks more like what people
write by hand (sort of alike an 'o' but with a tail); and there's an 'open

o'
(looks like a backwards 'c'), something that looks like an integral sign

in
calculus, something that looks like a numeral '3' but hangs below the

line,
an 'n' with a tail (for the last consonant of -ing), one that looks like a
capital 'I' but is no taller than a lower case 'i', and lots more.

I'm well aware of the challenges of the phonetic alphabet. In my time I've
had to deal with the full Quechua click set and the all the rhotic fantasia
of Yankuntjatjara. Not recently, however, so I can't suggest where to look.
Why not ring up a publisher who does it well and ask them (eg Blackwells)?