Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Outline heading numbers are in wrong sequence - Word 2007

In the multilevel list dialog box, delete the contents of the "Enter
formatting for number" box and rebuild it. Insert numbering for levels 1 and
2 via "Include level number from" and insert the current level number from
"Number style for this level." Type the periods in. Also, make sure that
"Restart list after" is set correctly (to see the option, you may have to
click the More button). When you are done, click OK.

To display the dialog box, place the insertion point in the first Heading 1
paragraph of the document. Click the Home tab, click Multilevel List, and
then click Define New Multilevel List.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sgodden" wrote in message
In the following text, heading level 3 has its numbers the wrong way
around!
Can anyone help me, this is a really big deal because I can't send this
document out to my customers like this.

The heading level 3 should be 10.2.1 not 2.10.1 !

Excerpt:

10.2. Paging of the grid
The grid is paged. This is to facilitate good performance when dealing
with

etc.

2.10.1. Alternatives to paging the grid
Live Grid