Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Default Mail Merge and Cross References

Hi Kim,

Mailmerges can't preserve cross references, because the source text for each
cross reference requires a bookmark, and only one instance of a given
bookmark can exist in a document. When you do a mailmerge, replication of
the bookmarked source text for each cross reference necessitates the
conversion of the cross references to plain text.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Kim" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how to get cross references to remain in tact after
completing a merge? Our main document has cross references within the
document. After completing the merge, the cross references get changed to
plain text rather than fields. Help!

Thank you