Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erich Wolodzko

Default Problems with Font when defining heading styles. (Word 2003)

I am trying to define a template for our company's reports using Word 2003
(Windows XP Professional SP2). I am currently stuck trying to define heading
styles in the template.

Following the advise in many tutorials, I have based the Heading 1 style on
"no style" and I have made the styles cascade (Heading 2 based on Heading 1,
etc.). The cascading works correctly for every setting except the font face.
All of the headings were originally hardcoded to use Arial, and I cannot seem
to clear this setting. Thus, when I change the Font Face or style of Heading
1, all of the changes propogate, except the lower headings always stay Arial.
I can change their fonts explicitly, but the fonts will not inherit.

When I am modifying the settings for any of the headings, there doesn't seem
to be a way to clear the font setting so that it inherits the font from the
"based on" style. I am always presented with a dropdown box, and have to
explicitly choose a specific font. It seems like the other settings can be
cleared, and then they start being inherited. Not the font face.

For other styles, I have been able to overcome setting an explicit font by
deleting the style and starting over. A new style starts with no font face
set, the dropdown box is blank, and the font face is inherited. As soon as I
set a font face, however, I cannot figure out how to undo it. Since I cannot
delete the heading styles, I don't know how to clear their font face setting.
So far I have found nothing online that discusses this problem.

Thanks for your time,

Erich Wolodzko