Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Default Creating multiple indexes in a document (subject, authors, etc

Dear Suzanne,
Thanks, but it didn't work. I went to a section that I reference quite a
bit and created a bookmark named "haplographies3". Then I went to one of the
reference texts and changed "See to 7,34-35" (column 7, lines 34-35; I edit a
manuscript consisting of columns and lines) to See {haplographies3}. I then
printed out the page, and saw "See to" where I had inserted the
cross-reference.
qumranandy

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Insert bookmarks within or around the referenced text. Then insert a PAGEREF
field using Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to Page number of Bookmark.

"qumranandy" wrote in message
Thanks, Stefan. I've wondered about that for years. One more question.

The
book is long, and I want readers to go to things by page - like I compose
"And Cross made other errors - see pages 67, 324 and 467" not "See chapter

8
beginning, chapter 12 middle and chapter 18 1/3 way through" How do I

mark
the text here and there so that "67", "324" and "457" stay updated as I

edit
the text?
Qumranandy

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Unfortunately, there is no built-in way to create a hyperlinked index,
if that's what you are trying to do.

However, it is possible to create multiple indexes. An index is
in fact an INDEX field, which collects information from XE fields in
the document; each XE field defines a separate index entry. And you
can mark for several different types of indexes by adding the \f
switch to your index entries.

To display XE fields, show hidden text. For your authors, you'll see
something like { XE "Author name here" }. Just add the \f "a" switch
to the end of the code: { XE "Author name here" \f "a" }. Repeat this
procedure for each type of index entry, adding an \f switch and a
"category letter". For subjects, you could use \f "s".

Then insert an index: Press Ctrl+F9. Word inserts field delimiters,
{ }. Type INDEX \f "a", and press F9 to update. For the next type of
index, repeat the procedure, using the \f switch followed by the
corresponding letter.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bryn Olew" wrote in message
I need to create multiple indexes for a document, i.e. a subject
index, an
entries to specific items and not just the page on which the entry
appears.
Is this possible? I'm using Office Word 2003. Thanks