Daiya Mitchell

Default partial document line numbers

Questions--

What version of Word?

Are you trying to number a lot of small sections of quoting intermingled
with regular text (e.g., 1 or 2 blocks on every page), or do you just have
one big chunk of quoting that you need to number (e.g., big chunk at the
beginning, then pages of regular text)? (either is possible, but the
technique would be very different)

If multiple blocks of numbered lines, do you want the numbers to be a
continuous series for the entire document, or to restart with each block of
text, or to restart each page.

As far as the footnotes go--I would create your footnotes as usual. Start
the text of each footnote with the line number you are referencing. Then
(and it will be easier to do this at the end of composing/editing, I
suspect), Modify the Footnote Reference style to be Hidden so that the
numbers don't show up, in either the text or the note. For how, see he
http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ModifyAStyle.html

On 10/18/05 11:53 AM, "dianaiad" wrote:

I am doing extensive quoting of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales". The poem
needs to have line numbers, but I do NOT want the explanatory text and
the title to be included in the line count. I've seen how to apply line
numbers to the entire text, but how do I apply it to only PART of the
text, just the quoted poetry?

Oh, and how do I fix the footnotes so that there is no superscript in
the main document, and the footnotes (which will refer back to the line
numbers) still appear at the bottom of the page?

help?

Diana

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word