Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] Jgillis@architetto.com is offline

Default manipulating/cutting/pasting text out of a text box

Thanks much for the insights.
--I didn't know how to disable the drawing canvas thingy, and you solved
that easily.
--Also I didn't know about the 2 pages per sheet feature. I looked at it
but I'm not sure yet if it adds anything to my project. And since I need
the left text box to be smaller than the right, I kind of doubt it will work
for me, since it splits page equally.

What I'm trying to do is set up a template that can be used for scholarly
analysis of classic texts.
The format I want to establish is actually three-fold (even though I talked
in my initial post of two side-by-side boxes.)
1. left side: portion of text (e.g., Aristotle's works) flowing from left
text box to left text box, and so on to end. This box is not full height
page, and only goes to about "4" to the right, in the measure scale along top
of page)
1a. (? in same text box or not? -- inclusion of the famous Bekker line
numbers (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bekker_numbers for description of
these line numbers), adjacent to lines of original text.
2. right side: text box (wider and taller than left text box) for commentary
on classic text. This commentary will often be referring to specific line
numbers from left box. This text also flows, and won't necessarily be
exactly across from exact text it is referencing, since if there is a lot of
commentary it might run down the page faster.
********
Aside from the Bekker numbers, which have to be entered manually in the text
since they are not conventionally sequential that would work in Word, there
are new texts into which I plan to add an entirely new line number system,
and here I will probably use the Word numbering system, starting with "10000"
for example, assuming they will flow from one text box to the next on the
left.

Any suggestions on how to set up this kind of document would be welcome.

John Gillis

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You definitely want to get rid of the drawing canvas (disable it on the
General tab of Tools | Options). But if you have a drawing canvas, you also
have a version of Word that allows you to create two pages per sheet (on the
Margins tab of Page Setup, choose "2 pages per sheet" under "Multiple
pages"). You'd still need the text boxes in order to have the parallel text
structure, but at least it would be easier to create header/footer text,
etc.

If you'll tell us more about what you're trying to accomplish, we might be
able to help more.

"
wrote in message ...
One further note -- the two text boxes per page are inside a "drawing
object". Perhaps this is my problem....?

" wrote:

Hi,
I created a doc with 20 pages landscape mode and placed two text boxes

per
page side by side, linked such that the left hand box links all the way

down
thru page 20 (and all the right hand boxes are also linked.) Then I cut

and
pasted a large doc from another file into that left text box, and the

entire
text flowed thru to the linked boxes on subsequent pages, just as it

should.
Then I started annotating the text in the left hand boxes. And I

started
adding annotations in the right hand boxes.
Along the way I realized I wanted to extract all the text from the left

and
put it in a plain Doc file (and I want to do the same with all the text

in
the right hand boxes. But when I select all (control-A) all I get is

one
page worth of text (either left or right depending where the focus is).

Is
there any way to get control of the entire text in the left or the right
document?