Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Spell Checker is missing words

Take a look at http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/MasterSpellCheck.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"IslandKatz" wrote in message ...

I've searched this forum for an answer to my specific question and have
had no luck.

I have a 350-page book that I'm editing, and even though I have no
options selected to ignore words in caps or words with numbers in them,
Word's spell checker is missing things. Just ordinary words. I don't
have Word set to ignore anything at all - I want to see everything that
it finds. Only, it finds some words and not others. I even tried to
find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared\Tools\ Proofing
Tools\1.0\Override to see if that was the problem, and it didn't exist
on my machine.

I need to know if there is any other spell checking tool that is not
part of Word or any Microsoft applications/tools that anyone has had
success with. I even downloaded some spell checking software that was
supposed to be the cat's PJs with Word docs (Ginger spell checker), only
Word wouldn't even open while the software was on my computer, so I had
to uninstall it.

I'm really disgusted with Word's spell checker and cannot trust it. And
reading a 350-page document over and over looking for errors gets really
old. My eyes miss things. That's what spell checker is supposed to be
for. I'm on the third edition of this book, and it's really
embarrassing.

Thanks in advance,
IslandKatz

--