Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Spell Checker is missing words

I would have thought that contextual spellchecking had *improved* the
spellchecker. I certainly haven't seen any reports that it has grown
radically worse.

Do you see any error messages?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On 2012-04-17 23:03, IslandKatz wrote:
'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;492285']Take a look at http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/MasterSpellCheck.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thank you very much for that link Stefan. I appreciate you taking the
time to read my request and to reply. : )

I suppose I should also have included in my opening post that I have
used Word since the 1990s - it's been my primary tool as a technical
writer and editor, many of those years producing documents for
Microsoft. I was always perfectly satisfied with Word's spell check -
it worked beautifully. The people I produced documents and books for
were always pleased with them. But in the last couple of years, spell
check has failed, missing random words that do not have any non-typical
characteristics (all caps, or combined upper-and-lower-case, words with
numbers, web addresses, etc.), and I don't know why. I only know that
I've lost confidence in it since the current 350-page book has gone to
press for three editions now and it still has errors. This is why I'm
specifically seeking an exceptional and proven tool for spell checking
that is not associated with Word. My publisher has requested that this
be done. With that said, can anyone recommend a non-Word tool that is
stellarly reliable?

Thanks much!
IslandKatz