Charles Kenyon

First, do use a footer or header for your page numbers, do _not_ use Insert
Page Number. It causes the kinds of problems you are having. You can use

the Page field independent of the Page X of Y AutoText entry. You can do
this with Insert Field, or by typing the word "Page" and selecting it.
Then press Ctrl-F9 to make it a field, and F9 to update the field. Take a
look at http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Cheryl York" Cheryl wrote in message
We create large Word documents regularly. They usually have more than
60-75
pages. When we try to number the pages (not using a Footer), the numbers
stop at page 39. Someone told us that we should break the documents up
into
several smaller documents, but that is a pain because these documents are
legal briefs being filed in various courts and they need to be all in one
complete document.

Also, is there a way to use a Footer for page numbering without using the
'page x of y' feature in the Footer? We use Footers for smaller internal
documents for the 'page x of y' feature, but in briefs being filed in
court
documents, we must have a single arabic number for the page number.