Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pcrapse pcrapse is offline

Default How to do footer "Page X of Y" where Y=sections 2-Z

I have a similar (but probably more complex) issue ...

I have a user that wants page numbers on all pages except the last page. So
if there are 7 pages total, the pages numbers on the first six pages should
be "1 of 6", "2 of 6" and so forth.

I found a solution that recommended placing a bookmark at the end of the
last page and using the PAGEREF field code instead of NUMPAGES. However, if
the document gets changed, I fear the bookmark will have to be recreated on
each document.

The document is a template that is used to create several documents a day by
several users. So having to fix the issue for every document isn't an
option. And the template has several section breaks.

Any ideas?

"Beth Obenshain" wrote:

I want a footer that says "Page X of Y" in a document that has multiple
sections. The first section is a cover page and TOC, so I don't want those
pages included in the count.

The document is being used as a template, so the number of sections may
vary. The section breaks are necessary because some pages are portrait while
others are landscape.

I know about using {SECTIONPAGES} and I'm hoping there's a similar field
that will give the specific results I'm looking for. I'll really appreciate
any advice I can get! Thanks!