Klaus Linke

Hi Loretta,

I think you've run into a bug that I encountered, too. And I avoid table =
styles for professional work because of this bug.

The only thing I've figured out is that the table style is messed up the =
moment I deleted some other, totally unrelated (paragraph) style. And =
the problem seems to be related to "link styles".

I've had to reformat dozens of tables by hand last time it happened.=20

Since then, I double-check if the tables are still ok each time after I =
delete some style, and use "undo" (Ctrl+Z) immediately if the tables are =
messed up.

If it's too late and the tables are already messed up, and if you're =
lucky, you can perhaps fix the damage -- although I haven't had much =
luck yet:
In the VBA editor (Alt+F11), immediate window (Ctrl+G), find the link =
styles for your table style and the style that's suddenly applied:
? ActiveDocument.Styles("your_Table_Style").LinkStyl e
(type or paste this line, insert the name of your table style, and hit =
the Return key at the end of the line)

You should get the answer "Normal" both times.=20

If it turns out that the table style and the new, wrong style are =
linked, try to get rid of the link between the styles:
ActiveDocument.Styles("wrong_style").LinkStyle=3DA ctiveDocument.Styles(wd=
StyleNormal)
or
ActiveDocument.Styles("your_Table_Style").LinkStyl e=3DActiveDocument.Styl=
es(wdStyleNormal)

One of those two lines might fix the problem.

It's a very slim chance that this might work... Probably you'll have to =
reformat :-(

Regards,
Klaus

"Loretta" wrote:
Word 2003, Windows XP
=20
We have some large technical documents that had previously been =

created=20
and/or edited by a combination of people who sortof knew what they =

were=20
doing, and people who didn=E2=80=99t (hopefully I=E2=80=99m in the =

former group), so there=20
are numerous Styles with odd names, and LOTS of manual formatting. =

I=E2=80=99m in=20
the process of developing and implementing a set of consistent Styles =

to use=20
on the documents.
=20
I=E2=80=99m importing and applying the new Styles, wiping out the =

manual formatting,=20
and deleting the old, oddball styles. I=E2=80=99m using Table Styles =

to do things=20
like set the internal and external borders, setting the spacing =

between=20
cells, and centering/not centering the whole table.
=20
As I=E2=80=99m cleaning things up, I apply the Table Styles to the =

table, and=20
font/paragraph Styles to the text within. I=E2=80=99ll go along to =

later parts of=20
the document, and when I finally wipe out all instances of an oddball =

Style,=20
I delete it using the =E2=80=9CStyles and Formatting=E2=80=9D pane. =

Later I=E2=80=99m looking=20
through the document and notice that the tables now have applied as a =

Table=20
Style, a style that isn=E2=80=99t necessarily a Table Style, and =

typically has no=20
relation to the Styles I=E2=80=99ve applied to the text.
=20
What am I doing wrong?
--
Loretta