Klaus Linke

Hi Kenneth,

You must have seen a different KB article. And I don't think there is a =
registry setting for a default "open" encoding, since such a default =
setting would be a terrible idea.

You can use a macro to open text files using the specific encoding you =
want (maybe using some more sophisticated macro than the one from the KB =
article, which lets you specify the file using the "File Open" =
dialog).

You can even replace the "File Open" dialog with your sophisticated =
macro (though I wouldn't do that).

You can't set a default encoding for text files. The default in Windows =
apps is the Windows code page, or Unicode.
Either you let Word guess (with "confirm conversions" turned off), which =
will work for Windows text files and Unicode text files, or you'll have =
to specify the encoding (manually or by writing a macro).

Regards,
Klaus

"Kenneth" wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:03:42 -0700, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)"
75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
=20
Hi Kenneth,

This article may help:
=

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;256060&FR=3D1

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
"Kenneth" wrote in message =

Howdy,

When I open a TXT file in Word 2000 (or insert a TXT file in
another open DOC) a dialog opens asking how I want the
characters in the file converted.

How can I set the default to a particular conversion so that
the dialog does not open each time?

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth

=20
Hi Bob,
=20
I appreciate your response, but...
=20
I had found that article on my own. I made the registry
modification as described, re-booted, but still had the
problem.
=20
Do you know if there was something beyond the reg hack that
I was to have done?
=20
Thanks again,
--=20