Klaus Linke

Hi Kenneth,

I'd like to take a step back, because I'm still not sure what you are =
trying to do.
The (recoded) macro you posted in the other thread contained =
"InsertFile".
I don't see how you can specify the encoding for "InsertFile", either.

Here, you're talking about "File Open", where you can specify the =
encoding.
But I'm not sure why you'd need to (either opening or inserting a text =
file).

As far as I understood, you're saving the text files yourself.=20
If you use "Plain text" (=3D Windows text) for saving the text file, you =
shouldn't need to specify any encoding when you re-open or insert the =
file.=20
And if the "Confirm conversions" dialog (in "File Open" or "Insert =
File") bothers you, you should be able to turn that off.

In this thread, you said that the "Confirm conversion" dialog comes up. =
Did you uncheck the option in "Tools General" and it still comes up? =
Then maybe that's the bug that might be solved by the hotfix from =
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817140
(Can't say for sure because I've never run into this bug)

In the other thread, you said that some characters change into blanks if =
you re-open the text file.
Are you sure those characters *can* be saved in a Windows plain text =
file? Which characters are turned into blanks?

Regards,
Klaus

"Kenneth" schrieb im Newsbeitrag =
On Tue, 10 May 2005 20:33:26 +0200, "Klaus Linke"
wrote:
=20
=20

"Kenneth" wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2005 10:03:42 -0700, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)"
75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
=20
Hi Kenneth,

This article may help:
=

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;256060&FR=3D1

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
"Kenneth" wrote in message =

Howdy,

When I open a TXT file in Word 2000 (or insert a TXT file in
another open DOC) a dialog opens asking how I want the
characters in the file converted.

How can I set the default to a particular conversion so that
the dialog does not open each time?

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth
=20
Hi Bob,
=20
I appreciate your response, but...
=20
I had found that article on my own. I made the registry
modification as described, re-booted, but still had the
problem.
=20
Do you know if there was something beyond the reg hack that
I was to have done?
=20
Thanks again,
--=20
Kenneth
=20

=20
Hi Kenneth,

You must have seen a different KB article. And I don't think there is =

a registry setting for a default "open" encoding, since such a default =
setting would be a terrible idea.

You can use a macro to open text files using the specific encoding =

you want (maybe using some more sophisticated macro than the one from =
the KB article, which lets you specify the file using the "File Open" =
dialog).

You can even replace the "File Open" dialog with your sophisticated =

macro (though I wouldn't do that).

You can't set a default encoding for text files. The default in =

Windows apps is the Windows code page, or Unicode.
Either you let Word guess (with "confirm conversions" turned off), =

which will work for Windows text files and Unicode text files, or you'll =
have to specify the encoding (manually or by writing a macro).

Regards,
Klaus

=20
Hi Klaus,
=20
It is only for TXT files that I would like to set a default
encoding.
=20
Is there a way to do that?
=20
Or, if I wish to have Word "guess", is there a way to have
it do that?
=20
Thanks again,
--=20