Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
veryveryfrustratedwithfootnotes veryveryfrustratedwithfootnotes is offline

Default footnote numbering in different sections

Hi thanks for the advice. Been thinking about that but two thousand footnotes
make me think that there is hopefully a different solution

"Jezebel" wrote:

It's a bit tedious if you've got a lot of them, but you could just enter the
footnote numbers manually, using the numbers as the 'custom mark'.

"veryveryfrustratedwithfootnotes"
soft.com wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a problem numbering the footnotes in various sections of my
document;
in some sections I need to start from 1 (got that) but in others I have to
continue from the last number of the previous section - and here's the
problem - it either seems to start from one or counting from the very
first
footnote. Here's an example

Section one
Chapter 1.
Footnote 1
Footnote 2

Section 2
Chapter 2.
Footnote 1
Footnote 2

Section 3
Chapter 2.1.
the footnote number should now continue with 3 (continuing from section
2/chapter 2.) but instead I either get 1 (restart after each section) or 5
(counting from the very first footnote in chapter 1)

I tried to set the "start at number" button on 3 but it doesn't work
somehow. I also need to define different sections because the different
chapters and sub-chapters have different headers.

Thank you all for your help!