Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default multilevel list style, one or many

When you create a multilevel list in a template, linked to styles in that
template, then users will be using those styles with the defined numbering.
Applying the given style will apply the desired numbering. There will be no
need to visit the multilevel list gallery. But if they do, the list you have
defined should be displayed. I guess I don't understand your question or
your concerns.

http://word.mvps.org

"cayce" wrote in message
Thanks Suzanne but I want the ability to make edits as they inevitably
will
be needed. Also, isn't it possible that the user's multilevel gallery
settings might be different from the one I develop from, and so this then
introduces the potential of documents spawned from the .dotx or .docm
varying
from user machine to user machine? These are unspophsticated Word user's
who
will be working from these templates.

If anyone out there has experience with the question I pose, I'd sure like
to hear from you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

A third alternative is to link all nine styles to a given level of a
multilevel list without creating a list style. Although I have been told
that a list style is the way to go, I don't seem to have any problem just
creating a multilevel list linked to styles as in previous versions.

http://word.mvps.org

"cayce" wrote in message
A multilevel list style has 9 levels. You can define all 9 levels in
that
one
list style, then link level to style of 9 different paragraph styles.
This
is
a one-to-many relationship.

You could also define 9 different multilevel list styles, "using" only
one
of the levels, link level to style of the one defined to one of the 9
paragraph styles. This is a one-to-one relationship.

Does Autonumbering stability improve in the one-to-one relationship
over
the
one-to-many relationship? This will end up in a .dotx file for many
users.
User's would be coached to apply styles of the level they need. Itll
require
more design work up front, but if it keeps autonumbering from breaking,
it
might be worth it.

Real-world experience is welcomed!

thanks