brandie

Default Extra space in links to Excel

I am setting up a Word document that links to information in an Excel
spreadsheet.

If I paste a link into a blank document (using Edit Paste Special Paste
Link: Unformatted Text, then it comes over correctly, with just the contents
of the Excel cell.

If I paste into an existing document, it seems to try to format itself to
correctly fit into the document, but it's doing it wrong. When I paste the
link into the middle of a sentence, it's adding on a space in the *linked*
part, which is unneeded because I already have a space in the Word document.
It doesn't change it in the Excel sheet, just in the pasted link.

I can easily delete the space out of the Word document to prevent having a
double space in the middle of a sentence, but when I'm pasting at the end of
a sentence, it's still putting a space before the period.

I tried hitting enter a few times to move all the text that would follow the
link down onto a new line. When I paste the link then, it's fine. But when
I add the period back in behind it, the period gets "sucked in" to the linked
text and, again, a space is added.

I know I can delete the extra spaces and whatever other problems from the
link by hand, but when it updates, it removes that formatting. Has anyone
seen anything like this before?