PopS

"Jag Man" wrote in
message ...
My wife creates the monthly newsletter for a group.
It is 2-3 pages
long. By tradition there is a list of officers,
organization logo, and date of the issue at the top
of the first page.
I have set this up in the header, and have
a section break at the very beginning of the
document.

The problem is one of "disappearing header." She's
working on the
document and all of a sudden the
header is gone. I have traced the problem to see what
causes it.
Apparently, she inadvertantly deletes
the section break, and that's what makes the header
go away. I believe
this is because the initial section,
which has nothing in it and exists only to "hold" the
header, gets
deleted along with the break, and that's
the section with the header. There is no undo for
this action,
so unless she immediately leaves Word without saving
the header is
lost and gone forever. The only
recovery is to go back to a previous issue of the
newsleter and start
over, losing all changes made for the
issue being written.

I have looked into how I might "lock" that part of
the document so
this can't happen. I checked Help and
the FAQs, but found nothing that directly applies...
or at least not
as I understand. Options for
Protecting seem to be based on Subdocuments or Forms,
neither of which
seems appropriate for the
initial section. The FAQs gives a couple suggestions
for locking the
contents of the header, but they would seem
not to prevent the entire thing from deletion.

Any ideas for solving this problem.

TIA,

Ed

Clarification & verification:
You are saying that:
-- The logo etc. are set up in the "header". Word's
literal Header, or one you are just calling a Header
because it's at the head of the document but still in
the body portion?

-- She's typing away in the body of the document,
making corrections/additions/deletions. She's not
working in or on the Header.

From your description, the header is simply a part of
the body of the document, followed by a Section Break.
Why?

It would not be possible to inadvertantly impact the
Header if it actually existed in the Header area of the
document. Therfore, you seem to not be using Word's
Header & Footer abilties but instead have your header
in the body area.

The "flip" answer is, well put the "header" information
up into the Header where it's protected.

But reason tells me there might be more to the story?
Every page has room for a separate space to hold a
Header and a Footer. You access it by View, Header and
Footer.

Are you using that method? If not, why not? It sounds
like a good "fix". With a good descrip, it might be
possible to find a better way if none of this helps
any.

HTH,

Pop