Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Selecting sentence/paragraph with keyboard

I am not in the habit of posting untested solutions. On my system,
[space][hyphen][space] does become [space][en dash][space] as advertised,
though not till after you finish typing the following word (that is, type
some text followed by a space or punctuation.

Although I don't think you can assign this particular combination to a
keystroke, you can accomplish many things with AutoCorrect (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...toCorrect.htm), and you can save
any amount of text as an AutoText entry, and AutoText entries can be
assigned keyboard shortcuts.

"Don Ellis" wrote in message

Hi Suzanne,

I do have AutoFormat As You Type set but I think you'll find that you need
to type [space][hyphen][hyphen][space] to get my en dash with bookend

spaces,
rather than [space][hyphen][space] as you suggest.

I don't want to harp on WordPerfect too much but their keyboard mapping
allows you to assign keystrokes to a particular key combination, so you

can
simply assign [space][en dash][space] to Ctrl-/, for example. Quick and

easy
and no need for macros and multiple keystrokes.

With every new release of Word, I keep hoping they will pick up some tips
from other developers.

Speaking of which, why can't I create my own custom keyboard in Powerpoint
and Excel, so that Ctrl-Shft-S equals Save As in all of them. Perhaps

because
Microsoft is too busy adding more exotica and not reviewing the basics.

By the way, the mouse doesn't come into my second question -- it was an
afterthought.

Cheers,

Don

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have the appropriate AutoFormat As You Type settings enabled,

then
typing [space][hyphen][space] will result in [space][en dash][space].

I'l
grant you this is three keystrokes, but it doesn't require use of the

mouse,
and I don't see how the mouse comes into this equation at all, anyway;

if
the problem if just the en dash, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to

that.