Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Quirk in W2003 grammar

On Feb 7, 2:26*am, "L. Mohan Arun" wrote:
To prove that Word 2003 does not consider software as a "singular" try
both these sentences:
Not all html editor software are created equal
Not all html editor software is created equal
Both do not get flagged for any error.
The first is incorrect. The second is correct.

So how do you explain that Word does not flag the first sentence as
incorrect grammar? This is more about Word's grammar recognition than
about English usage..

So now you have learned that computer grammar checkers are not
infallible! Machine Translation doesn't work particularly well,
either, because human language is far more complicated than anything
any computer yet programmed is able to handle.

Here is another reference which clearly needs a plural reference for
"software"
"Other web site maker software are often bloated"
That doesn't make any sense at all -- I can't even tell what you are trying to say.

It makes sense as is. A reference to all the other web site maker
software out there - clearly that is plural - a "collective noun" -

I'm sorry, but "web site maker software" isn't English. You might
intend "web sites of makers of software," or "software for making web
sites," and it isn't clear whether you are saying that the web sites
are bloated or the software is bloated.

Word finds fault with the 'are" and wants to change it to "Other web
site maker software is often bloated". I want to say that all the
other software are bloated except this one.

A string of four nouns with nothing between them is very unusual in
English, and the grammar-checking program probably simply saw that the
noun next before the verb is singular, and changed the verb to
singular.

Here too, Word finds fault with the "are".
That is the least of the problems.

It is a problem nonetheless... I dont agree that it is "least of the
problems".

It is not a problem, because the word "software" is singular, even if
it refers to more than one piece of software / more than one program.