Jac

Default STYLE WON'T APPLY

Hi there,
Word 2003
I am facing a style problem when formating text
I select the text I want to format has Heading 1 for instance (same for all
pre formatted style) - the I select Heanding 1 and ...nothing change in
display, but on the style task pane appears a "headiing,1" (note the comma)
If I select another heading, f.i. Heading 4, then the new task pane dispaly
becomes "heading,4"
No headings can be apllied, then I cannot work with levels
Looking in tools/Edit or else, did not modify the situation
Is there someone who can help me to solve this problem
Thanks in advance
Jac