Another approach is to use a frame and define it as a style. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm

"jpmoriarty" wrote in message
. ..

I've got a template which has a large left margin (~20%) and the vast
majority of my text goes into the right hand side of the page. Every
now and again I want to have a highlighted sentence (or such) in my
very wide left margin, and I want to do it using a text box at the
position that I want this "highlight". So I'm trying to write a macro
that will insert a text box at the height of the cursor when the macro
is run, but at a set distance from the left hand edge of the page.

I've managed to use the record macro to insert a text box at a certain
position, but I'm not sure how to edit it so that instead of putting
the box at set coordinates, it puts it at a set horizontal coordinate
but a vertial coordinate relative to the line position of the cursor.

Can it be done?

Many thanks in advance!

--
jpmoriarty