At least one other user has reported a problem (and in his case without the
fix); there is a thread ongoing on the subject in the
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement newsgroup (subject line "Reading layout
loses table of contents").

wrote in message
I have a TOC on page 3 and when this doc is opened from email it opens in
Reading Layout. Reading Layout shows the page numbers in the TOC

correctly;
however, closing Reading Layout and switching to Print Layout causes the

page
numbers in TOC to change. I can then update the page numbers in the TOC

and
they are correct.

Turning off Reading Layout also fixes the problem. If I open the file
without Reading Layout, then switch to Reading Layout and back it doesn't
have the problem.

The problem only seems to occur when it opens in Reading Layout and then
changes to a different view.

Is this a known problem and/or is there a fix?

Ryan