Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default ToC, ToC Styles, and ToC Tabs

Theoretically, you could do it in any of those places, since TOC styles are
by default set to automatically update.

However, my experience is that the TOC styles sometimes don't automatically
update, so I prefer to change the style itself. After I manually revise a
style, I go to the styles pane, click the arrow after the TOC style name,
and choose "Update ... to match selection".

Pam

Bill Gruener wrote:
Would you move the tab stop a little to the right in

1) the ruler,
2) Tabs dialog box, or
3) another dialog box such as the Modify Style dialog box for the TOC 3 style?

Thanks
The number "1.1.1" is wide enough to extend beyond the tab set for the
text of that heading, so the tab-character after the number is taking

[quoted text clipped - 31 lines]

.