View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I make heading2 number dependent on heading1

To make Heading 2 number dependent on Heading 1, and Heading 3 number dependent on Heading 2, you can use the Multilevel List feature in Microsoft Word. Here are the steps to achieve this:
  1. First, make sure that your headings are formatted as Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3. You can do this by selecting the text and choosing the appropriate heading style from the Styles gallery on the Home tab.
  2. Next, click on the Home tab and locate the Multilevel List button in the Paragraph group. Click on the arrow next to it to open the Multilevel List gallery.
  3. In the Multilevel List gallery, choose the option that best matches the numbering scheme you want to use. For example, if you want to use numbers and sub-numbers, choose a list style that includes both.
  4. Once you have selected a list style, click on Define New Multilevel List at the bottom of the gallery.
  5. In the Define New Multilevel List dialog box, you can customize the numbering scheme for each level of the list. To make Heading 2 number dependent on Heading 1, select Level 2 from the list on the left, and then choose "1" from the "Start at" field. This will ensure that each Heading 2 starts with "1" and is numbered sequentially within each Heading 1.
  6. To make Heading 3 number dependent on Heading 2, select Level 3 from the list on the left, and then choose "1" from the "Start at" field. Then, in the "Number format" field, enter the code for the numbering scheme you want to use. For example, if you want to use "1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.3.2" for Heading 3 under Heading 2 No1, enter the code "1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.3.2" in the "Number format" field.
  7. Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog box.

Now, when you apply the Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3 styles to your document, the numbering will be automatically applied according to the scheme you defined in the Multilevel List feature.