Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamlet Pamlet is offline

Default Page numbering

I have XP. I am trying to format a document to do the following: on pages
1-3, no numbering. On pages 4-7, small roman numbering starting at i,
located at center bottom page. On pages 8+, arabic numbers in top right hand
(this will need to be consistent through a number of section breaks where I
have used landscape), once again starting with 1.

OK. So I put in { PAGE \* roman } in the footer (that worked just fine) and
then on page 4 put { IF { PAGE } 3 "{ PAGE }" "{ = { PAGE } - 4 }" } but
it didn't display correctly. I tried various combinations of the first set
of codes but kept ending up with PAGE displayed where I wanted the number.

Similarly, for the main body of the document, which required top right-hand
arabic numbers, I tried to put { IF { PAGE } 7 "{ PAGE }" "{ = { PAGE } - 7
}" } in the header and it displayed PAGE when I hit "update field".

I am also concerned about the Table of Contents -- once I get the numbers to
display correctly, will the TOC use the "real" numbers or the ones I want --
that is, the displayed numbers?

Many thanks.