Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default table style question, space before and after

When you add space below to that blank paragraph, you're adding it to the
paragraph. If you have nonprinting characters displayed, this is very
evident. The paragraph alone, if left empty, creates space below the table,
too, but I don't leave empty paragraphs anywhere except when absolutely
necessary (as between a TOC and a section break or between TOCs).

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Suzanne

This is something I have always had a hard time getting my head around. I
find that if there is a blank para following the table, I can select the
table and use format, para to add space below to adjust the space between
the table and following para. If there isn't a blank para, then selecting
the table and adding Space Below adds the space to the table cells. I'll
have to play with this some more but these results seem to contradict the
formatting being held in the final cell marker. (Maybe this is only true

if
there is nothing following the table other than the para mark?)

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you sure about this, Terry? I thought the table attributes were

stored
in the end-of-table marker. The requirement for a normal text paragraph
after a table at the end of a document is to store the *document* (that
is,
section) formatting. I'm not sure what the required empty paragraph

after
table in the Header/Footer is supposed to for, though.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
If you don't put a 'blank paragraph' between the table and the

following
text paragraph, then the table attributes are stored with the paragraph

mark
of the following text para. I never understood why this should be so,

but
unfortunately, its the way it works. To get a blank paragraph below the
table, put the cursor at the beginning of the following text paragraph
and
press enter. The new para mark then stores the table attributes.

Terry

wrote in message
ups.com...
I can't seem to find a paragraph mark after a table (Word 2003).

Is there some trick to finding it?

At the end of the last row of the table I see only a little square.

The very next line after the last row of the table is the first line
of the next paragraph.

Brian

On Sep 17, 4:59 am, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
You can add some Spacing After (Format | Paragraph, Indents and
Spacing
tab)
to the paragraph mark following the table.

Note that if the paragraph below has Spacing Before, Word will only
display
the larger amount of the two settings for Spacing Before and After.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message

oups.com...

No good. Double spacing on the last row doesn't create any space
after if the table only has one row. Darn.

Brian

On Sep 15, 8:26 pm, wrote:
Hmmmm. I'm using Word 2003, and I don't see any pilcrow at the

end
of
a table. There's a pilcrow at the end of the paragraph that is

right
after the table, and it's formatted as Body Text.

It seems like something is not right with Word. In the table

style
assigned to the table, for the Header Row I set 12 points space
before, and this does just what I want and what I expect. When I

set
12 points space after for the Last Row, this does nothing! Is
there
some trick to getting that to work?

I just discovered that if I set double line spacing for the Last

Row,
that seems to produce 12 points of space after just the last row.
That will be good enough for this particular situation since my

tables
only have one line of text in the last row. It wouldn't work
otherwise.

Brian

On Sep 15, 10:38 am, "Terry Farrell"

wrote:

Immediately following a table is a paragraph formatting mark

(the
reversed P
symbol or pilcrow): this holds the formatting parameters of the
table.
If
you select it (it should select the whole table) and you can

use
Format,
Paragraph and set the Space Before and Space After settings.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

wrote in message

ups.com...

I want space both before and after a table, but not between

rows
of
table.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy