Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erik Bo Sørensen Erik Bo Sørensen is offline

Default How to insert a new caption (Table) without changing Figures.

I have no idea about the default caption-style in Word2004.

But in Word2007 the default style for Captions is "Caption"

In Word2003 and Word2007 it is possible to modify the style used by captions
- including the "automatically update" setting.

--
Best regards
Erik Bo

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Hmm. I can't get that to happen in Word 2004, even with automatically
update on. To be honest, since Insert | Caption should insert hard-coded
text, that really doesn't make any sense at all. (If you hit option-F9, you
will see the number change to a field code, but the label is plain text,
there shouldn't be anything that *can* update it.) Were you copying and
pasting the captions or anything? How did you create them?

Wild guess--perhaps the doc is corrupt. Try the fixes here ON A COPY.
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/DocumentCorruption.html

I assume you really are using a Mac and 2004 was not just a typo. If so,
and corrupt doesn't fix it, please follow this up on the MacWord newsgroup
rather than this busy and overcrowded newsgroup, in case it is a Mac issue.

See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel,
and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

On 11/3/06 12:17 PM, "Techie Writer" wrote:

In a Word 2004 document, I have inserted captions for Figures. When I insert
a caption for a Table, it changes all the "Figure" captions to "Table". If I
change one back to "Figure", it changes them all to "Figure" including the
one that was inserted as a "Table". Very frustrating!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/