Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Lee is offline

Default Problem reading docx files on Word 2003

"Jules" wrote:

Have you got the Compatibility Pack installed:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx

"zoeb" wrote in message
Hi Thanks for your help Jules but that doesn't work. When the file
conversion
box opens, it doesn't offer a Word 2007 doc option, only the old options
like
Windows default, MS Dos or "other encoding". I tried changing the file
name
but that hasn't made any difference either.

Any other suggestions?

"Jules" wrote:

You need to select at Conversion dialogue option Word 2007 Document and
it
should open if it is called xxxx.dotx but if it is xxxxx.zip then try
renaming the xxxx.zip to xxxx.dotx and open it and select Word 2007
document
at conversion dialogue.

Hope this helps

www.docsliveonline.com

"zoeb" wrote in message
I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I have received a docx
file
which I need to read. My version of Word 2003 has the latest service
packs
installed (I checked using the update option) and I have downloaded and
installed the word 2007 compatibility pack.

The docx file appears on my desktop as a compressed zip folder and if
you
double click it a folder with many files opens up. When I open word
2003
and
try the open file option it offers a file conversion from windows
default
and
appears as nonsense. If I select open files of Word 2007 which is an
option,
the file I have been sent doesn't show up.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? Many thanks.