Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Table in Word corrupt. File not usable. Please help.

You don't state which version of Word you are using.
To get the data out of a corrupt file try the following, open a new blank
file, Insert, File, select the corrupt file, OK.
This is for 2003 and prior, may be different for 2007.
How have you been transporting the file between your computers? Word does
not like its files being worked upon when stored on a moveable media, such as
a MemStick. Always save the file to the Harddrive, edit, save, then copy to
the media for transport.
I hope this helps, if not come back.
DeanH

"barelyabovewater" wrote:

Hello. I have Windows Vista on a laptop and Windows XP on my desk. Both
systems have been used for a Word document I've been working on.
This Word document has a contents table and one other freestanding table.
One of them has become corrupt -- I do not know which one.
I see a discussion string about this, but the solution proposed there does
not work for me. When I open the document, I get the error message about the
corrupt file, but the cursor doesn't work, page down doesn't work, the down
arrow doesn't work, the links above doesn't work. The moment I click on the
document to get a cursor, Word no longer responds (I get the not responding
message up top), and then it just sits there. If I click again anywhere, the
document goes gray, and all I can do is close it.
Can you help me recover this document or at least print it out?
Thank you so much for any help.