Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cowpants cowpants is offline

Default Creating TOC from Multiple Documents

Sorry, should be more specific -- I used the article on "Creating a Table of
Contents Spanning Multiple Documents". Thanks! =)

"cowpants" wrote:

OMG this article is fabulous! I've seen it cited in several places, and
you're just the top of the search results. THANK YOU for solving my problem.
Now I (hopefully) won't need to combine my team's chapters into a ginormous
doc. Thank you!!! =)

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

See these two articles...

Compiling Sub Docs
http://www.mousetrax.com/mastdoc.html

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

Dian D. Chapman
Technical Consultant, Microsoft MVP
MOS Certified Instructor, Editor/TechTrax Ezine
Tech Editor for Word & Office 2007 Bibles
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Dian.Chapman

Free PC Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word Tricks eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:13:04 -0800, Idaho Word Man
wrote:

I have been assigned to revise a very large (900+ pages) document. It
consists of front matter, seventeen chapters, and three appendixes. Each of
these sections is a separate document. Page numbering restarts with each
chapter and includes the chapter number (e.g., 3-1).

I need to create a table of contents in the front matter, listing all
first-, second-, and third-level headings, plus separate tables for figures
and tables.

I've been told many times that I should stay away from using a master
document. Is there a safe and easy way to create a table of contents or table
of figures from multiple documents?

I know how to create a TOC in a single document. I'm using Office 2003 and
Windows XP Professional (SP2).

Thanks,

Fred