Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default find all Xrefs

Take a look at http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Cross references to numbered items use ref fields in a manner similar to the
following, using an internally generated bookmark eg { REF _Ref186943993 \r
\h }

While you can run the replace function on displayed fields, I don't see any
easy way of modifying that construction to give the correct result?

You mentioned that you were detaching the hyperlink, which does pose a way
forward. If you convert all the fields to text (CTRL+A then CTRL+SHIFT+F9)
you can use replace normally on the resulting text. eg to change
(\([0-9]{1,3})(\))([a-z])
\1\3\2

if there are a-bs etc to find then do those first
(\([0-9]{1,3})(\))([a-z]-[b-z])
\1\3\2

grammatim wrote:
Is there a secret wild card character for "Cross-Reference"? (It's not
in the list of Special things in the Find-Replace dialog. As you know
if you've been following my saga, I will have hundreds of cross-
references in the form "(123)a" that will have to be changed to
"(123a)" at the last moment after they've been decoupled from their
hyperlinks; but there are a few like "(123)a-b" that will have to
change to "(123a-b)".

I can do the former by simply Find-Replacing )a , )b , )c , and )d
with a) , b) , c) , and d) , but there are likely to be other examples
of )- here and there, so I can't just search for them automatically.

And Jay just mentioned a super-secret wild card " \1 " that refers to
unspecified text found by Find! Is that correct? Backslash and not
caret? And howcome I've never found this mentioned anywhere? It could
have been quite useful over the years!

Happy New Year, y'all (California and Hawaii, you'll have yours soon).