Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default find all Xrefs

Only if Field Codes are Showing. Why should that be? (And then it
doesn't need REF.)

On Jan 2, 2:24*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
You said originally that you wanted to change the format of the numbering?
If you don't want to do that, then ^d REF will find all the cross reference
fields.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

grammatim wrote:
I don't want to replace anything, I just want to be able to go back
and see how I dealt with particular kinds of x-refs many pages earlier
-- that is, I just want to be able to find them without scrolling
through dozens of pages and maybe missing them because there's nothing
distinctive about them on the screen.

On Jan 1, 10:20 am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
The page on my web site is relevant to all versions, including 2007?
^d REF will find REF fields, but how is that going to help you, if
you don't know the cross reference code to replace it with? ^d does
not work in a wildcard search.

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

grammatim wrote:
Thank you -- there's information there that doesn't seem to be
available anywhere else. _But_ -- it's Word2000-oriented. Is it all
still valid in Word2003? (I don't even ask about 2007, which from
the queries here doesn't appear to be at all an improvement.)

If References are Fields, howcome searching ^d doesn't find them?

On Jan 1, 2:58 am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
Take a look athttp://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Cross references to numbered items use ref fields in a manner
similar to the following, using an internally generated bookmark eg
{ REF _Ref186943993 \r \h }

While you can run the replace function on displayed fields, I don't
see any easy way of modifying that construction to give the correct
result?

You mentioned that you were detaching the hyperlink, which does
pose a way forward. If you convert all the fields to text (CTRL+A
then CTRL+SHIFT+F9) you can use replace normally on the resulting
text. eg to change (\([0-9]{1,3})(\))([a-z])
\1\3\2

if there are a-bs etc to find then do those first
(\([0-9]{1,3})(\))([a-z]-[b-z])
\1\3\2

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

grammatim wrote:
Is there a secret wild card character for "Cross-Reference"? (It's
not in the list of Special things in the Find-Replace dialog. As
you know if you've been following my saga, I will have hundreds of
cross- references in the form "(123)a" that will have to be
changed to "(123a)" at the last moment after they've been
decoupled from their hyperlinks; but there are a few like
"(123)a-b" that will have to change to "(123a-b)".

I can do the former by simply Find-Replacing )a , )b , )c , and )d
with a) , b) , c) , and d) , but there are likely to be other
examples of )- here and there, so I can't just search for them
automatically.

And Jay just mentioned a super-secret wild card " \1 " that refers
to unspecified text found by Find! Is that correct? Backslash and
not caret? And howcome I've never found this mentioned anywhere?
It could have been quite useful over the years!

Happy New Year, y'all (California and Hawaii, you'll have yours
soon).-- Hide quoted text -