Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Default Standard document layout

Close. Yes use a template.
Create a new document based on the template and paste the contents into it.
Then go through and apply your styles.

Attaching a template to an existing document gives you access to styles and
macros, but does not give you formatting / headers, etc. from the template.

You may have best luck converting your old documents to plain text files
because document conversion and OCR make editing very difficult.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Shahnoor" wrote in message
Hi Jacky,

Yes, using a template is the best way to update your documents. The best
procedure to follow, however, is not to copy and paste the text into the
template file.

When you have the text in Word, you can apply a template to that existing
file. Please follow this link that will explain how to do that.

--ST

"Jacky D." wrote:

Hello,
I have been tasked with taking old documents and bringing them into
the
current document standards. These documents are everything from
typewritten
papers that I am using OCR software to save myself the typing, to
relatively
recent documents that have been written in Word, but the skill of the
person
writing the report varies widely, from people who will use macros to
people
who will bend the document any way they can tosee it the wayy they want.
Would creating a document templete, that has the standard information
like
heading layouts and section breaks be the best way to go to save us some
time
as we bring these documents into the standard layout? It is extremely
frustrating to try and "fix" the original document and have strange
things
like page numbering and TOC issues arising over and over again. I was
thinking by clearing all the formatting in the source document, and then
copying and pasting into the standard template layout, we could make the
documents all look and behave the same way.

Does this sound like the best way to go about this? I am dealing with
100+ documents to bring up to date.
Thanks