Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Find and replace

It would seem that you emails are just plain text and not hyperlinks like
those in this message. When you double-click on the addresses, does it open
up a blank addressed email? Almost certainly not for the reasons stated.

Maybe something as crude as a vertical selection and then cutting and
pasting the names into a new document. To make sure that the name are well
separated from the email addresses, use Find and Replace to search for
space and replace with tab. Then select all the rows and insert a tab on
the ruler so that all the addresses move well clear of the names. Now you
can do a vertical selection of the names column (using the Alt key) and cut
and paste (or copy and paste) into a new document. It's crude but it will
work.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Don" wrote in message
50 Years of Programming Experience
oft.com wrote:
I have a list of names and email addresses, for example:
Bill Smith
I want to delete the email addresses, leaving just the list of names.
Tried using * in Find (leaving Replace blank), but that deletes
everything. Must be missing something?

I copied all the names and email addresses into Excel. Excell puts the
names in the first column and the addresses into the second column. Then
you
can copy out the first column, and paste it back into your word document,

hmm, doesn't seem to work for me - everything ends up in column A.

--

Advertising is the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough
to get money from it.

...Stephen Leacock