Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Can I run Word 2003 with Office 2007?

Although Microsoft does generally have a commitment to keeping older
features for compatibility with older versions (and the reasons for this
were explained to us MVPs whenever we suggested removing the troublesome WP
options), Word 2007 was designed "from the ground up," and a lot of the
decisions were based on "popularity" or "majority rule." Apparently surveys
showed that such a very tiny population actually used "Blue background,
white text" that a relatively small percentage would miss it. Of course,
even 0.1% of Word users is still thousands of users.

"W J Wyatt" W J wrote in message
You know, this attitude really amazes me. I, as a user of software
applications specifically and a consumer in general, get really annoyed

when
other people think they know better what I want than I do. In addition to
being a consumer I have been a software developer for over 20 years and

one
rule I have always tried to follow is: Give people what they want. If

you
don't, they will go elsewhere. Another one is this: don't ever take
function away once it is there.

As for your "move on" comment. I have applications that are 15 years old
that I still use. Why? because they were done well, they work, and they
help me do my job. In short, they are useful to me and to be selfish

that's
all that matters. If this white on blue configuration is useful and
desireable for DCH then that is all that matters.

There's one more saying we like here in New England: "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it."
Apologies to my 5th. grade grammar teacher :-)

"Summer" wrote:

You REALLY should MOVE on - the same way research does!

Regardless you can run both versions 2003/2007 - you can make 2003 the
default Word program to open also.

"DCH" wrote in message
The deletion of the blue background/white text option in Word 2007 is
sending
me back to Word 2003. Can I uninstall Word 2007 and re-install Word

2003
while retaining the rest of Office 2007? And if so, can you tell me

how?

Many thanks for whatever suggestions anyone may have,

DCH