Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Can I run Word 2003 with Office 2007?

We are unpaid, but you will start a war if you call us evangelists. And
marketing has nothing to do with it; we talk to the developers of the
product and have some input into the product design. I can tell you that the
reason this feature was dropped was "lack of use." I don't know that I heard
this directly viva voce from the product group, though; I would have thought
it was in Jensen Harris's Office UI blog, but a search doesn't turn it up
there.

I did find
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office....mspx?mfr=true,
which says that AutoSummarize was "a low-use feature." About BBWT, it just
says, "This feature, included in previous versions of Word to emulate legacy
versions of WordPerfect, is no longer used." Maybe they just got tired of
accommodating WP migrants?

"E McElroy" wrote in message
As unpaid (I assume) evangelists for Word, I'm sure Microsoft's Marketing
department would insist that MVPs be kept informed on major changes such

as
this. It is certainly possible that the feature was dropped as a result of

survey but, unless they specifically said that, it's also quite possible

it
was a feature they didn't have time to add or it could have been simply an
oversight. This was, after all, a major change, and in major changes, some
things drop through the cracks. (.NET V1.0 had some famous early gaffes

where
important functionality was simply forgotten but, in fairness, .NET V1.0

was
a project of enormous proportions, far greater, I'm sure, than a rewrite

of
Word.)

All of which is to say, perhaps you can relay to Microsoft that the

feature
is missed and maybe it will return in the next minor release for those who
need or want it.

E McElroy

"DCH" wrote:

The deletion of the blue background/white text option in Word 2007 is

sending
me back to Word 2003. Can I uninstall Word 2007 and re-install Word

2003
while retaining the rest of Office 2007? And if so, can you tell me

how?

Many thanks for whatever suggestions anyone may have,

DCH