Peter Jamieson

Is your document based on (associated with) a template (.dot) that is
connected to a data source? If so, you might recieve this message in recent
versions of Word because when the template opens, it tries to connect to the
data source.

Peter Jamieson

"Jeni Q" wrote in message
Yes, I'm pretty sure that the merge has been executed. Typically, when you
have not executed the merge, most of the toolbar buttons are available to
you. You can also see the field shading (I have mine set to Always). In
this
completed document, there are no shaded fields appearing and the only
mailmerge toolbar buttons available are Main Document Setup and Open Data
Source. So it clearly seems to me that it has merged.

However, it's insistence on prompting to connect to the data source on
open
proves otherwise. What could be keeping the connection?

Jennifer

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message
: Are you sure that you have actually executed the merge to a new
document?
:
: I suggest that you select Toolbars from the View menu and then check the
: mailmerge item to display the mailmerge toolbar, then use the buttons on
the
: Right Hand end of the toolbar to execute the mailmerge.
:
: --
: Hope this helps.
:
: Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my
: services on a paid consulting basis.
:
: Doug Robbins - Word MVP
: "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: ...
: Hello. I've read KB 825765 so I understand when and why I get prompted
: with
: the "Opening this will run the following SQL command" message when you
: open
: a Word mail merge main document that is linked to a data source.
:
: However, I do not understand why I get prompted for the document after
the
: merge has run and my new document has been created and saved. When I
close
: and reopen the newly created document, I still get the prompt. There
is
: obviously a data attachment still existing. Is there any way to break
that
: attachment?
:
: I may not be understanding clearly how the merge process worked. I
thought
: it brought data into the new document and that's it. Is it
continuously
: going to the data source to get the data?
:
: Any help/advice would be appreciated.
:
: Thanks,