Peter Jamieson

First, if you open the Template (e.g. using Word File|Open, rather than
creating a new document based on it), is it connected to the data source?
(e.g. if you display the MailMerge toolbar using Tools|Customize,
a. are most/all the buttons after the first two greyed out?
b. if you click the first button, what type of document is selected?)

Second...

One is that when I run the MergeFromExcel
macro, I get prompted to select the table. This was previously included in
the macro.

....does your macro issue an OpenDataSource call? If so, can you copy/paste
the code for that call into a message in this thread?

The completed merged documents seem to be
retaining both their macros

I'll look at this separately.

Peter Jamieson
"Jeni Q" wrote in message
I really do need the mail merge to be connected to the template. That's the
whole point of this exercise. My user has a letter that he has to complete
several times a day, but never in a big batch job. It's always a single
letter at a time. The text is the same on the letter with the exception of
few fields such as name, title, university, etc.

Previously in Word 2000, I created a template with 2 macros and several
data
fields in it. The first macro is an AUTONEW macro that inserts a
calculated
date at a bookmarked location. The date is based on the CREATEDATE which
is
also inserted when the template is opened. The second macro
(MergeFromExcel)
is a very simple recorded macro which consists of opening the data source,
finding the named range, and merging the data. The data fields are in the
template already, so the macro runs through and dumps the data into the
document, leaving me with a completed merged document that has a
createdate,
a calculated date, and my 6 fields pulled from the excel spreadsheet.

We have just upgraded to 2003 recently. So with this template, everything
is
working OK now but two things. One is that when I run the MergeFromExcel
macro, I get prompted to select the table. This was previously included in
the macro. This I can fix by rerecording the macro or editing it if I'm
really clever. (I don't know any VBA, which limits my abilities.) The
second
problem is a larger problem. The completed merged documents seem to be
retaining both their macros and their database connection. So when I open
one of the completed documents, I'm promted to enable/disable macros and
I'm
also prompted with the SQL warning.

What's really weird about Word 2003 is that it seems to remember some of
the
data connections, sometimes, but it's not consistent. What's up with that?

So, anyway, it seems to me that I do need the merge associated with the
special template. There may be a real obvious answer to this problem that
I'm missing. Any advice?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
: Don't know if that is what has happened, but if it is and you do not
need
: your mail merge main document to be connected to this template,
disconnect
: it, or alternatively, disconnect the template and set up the connection
in
: VBA AutoNew macro if you know how to do that. In many cases, the
sensible
: thing to do when dealing with mailmerge is to develop your mail merge
main
: document, connect it to its data source, associate it with the
normal.dot
: template, then save it, and avoid using a special template - it's not
how
: Word is really supposed to work, but it probably causes fewer problems
with
: mailmerge, unless, for example, you need to use fields such as ASK,
FILLIN,
: and (especially) CREATEDATE, which tend to work differently when you
create
: a new document from a template.
:
: recieve
:
: can't believe I used that spelling, even by accident!
:
: Peter Jamieson
: "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: ...
: I think this must be what's happening. The weird thing is that one time
: got it to work right. But I can't remember how. :-O
: "Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
: ...
: : Is your document based on (associated with) a template (.dot) that
is
: : connected to a data source? If so, you might recieve this message in
: recent
: : versions of Word because when the template opens, it tries to
connect
: the
: : data source.
: :
: : Peter Jamieson
: :
: : "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Yes, I'm pretty sure that the merge has been executed. Typically,
when
: you
: : have not executed the merge, most of the toolbar buttons are
available
: : you. You can also see the field shading (I have mine set to
Always).

: In
: : this
: : completed document, there are no shaded fields appearing and the
only
: : mailmerge toolbar buttons available are Main Document Setup and
Open
: Data
: : Source. So it clearly seems to me that it has merged.
: :
: : However, it's insistence on prompting to connect to the data
source
on
: : open
: : proves otherwise. What could be keeping the connection?
: :
: : Jennifer
: :
: : "Doug Robbins" wrote in message
: : ...
: : : Are you sure that you have actually executed the merge to a new
: : document?
: : :
: : : I suggest that you select Toolbars from the View menu and then
check
: the
: : : mailmerge item to display the mailmerge toolbar, then use the
: buttons
: on
: : the
: : : Right Hand end of the toolbar to execute the mailmerge.
: : :
: : : --
: : : Hope this helps.
: : :
: : : Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself
of
: my
: : : services on a paid consulting basis.
: : :
: : : Doug Robbins - Word MVP
: : : "Jeni Q" wrote in message
: : : ...
: : : Hello. I've read KB 825765 so I understand when and why I get
: prompted
: : : with
: : : the "Opening this will run the following SQL command" message
when
: you
: : : open
: : : a Word mail merge main document that is linked to a data
source.
: : :
: : : However, I do not understand why I get prompted for the
document
: after
: : the
: : : merge has run and my new document has been created and saved.
When
: I
: : close
: : : and reopen the newly created document, I still get the prompt.
: There
: : is
: : : obviously a data attachment still existing. Is there any way
: break
: : that
: : : attachment?
: : :
: : : I may not be understanding clearly how the merge process
worked.
: : thought
: : : it brought data into the new document and that's it. Is it
: : continuously
: : : going to the data source to get the data?
: : :
: : : Any help/advice would be appreciated.
: : :
: : : Thanks,
: : : Jennifer Dickens
: : :