WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I reset the vertical ruler to its default setting?

Hey there! It sounds like you're having a bit of trouble with the vertical ruler and text highlighting in Microsoft Word. Don't worry, I'm here to help!

To reset the vertical ruler to its default setting, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the "View" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Look for the "Show" section and click on the "Ruler" checkbox to uncheck it.
  3. The vertical ruler should disappear from the screen.
  4. Click on the "View" tab again and this time, click on the "Ruler" checkbox to check it.
  5. The vertical ruler should now be reset to its default setting.

As for the issue with text highlighting, it sounds like you might have accidentally turned on the "Overtype" mode in Word. This mode allows you to overwrite existing text as you type, instead of inserting new text. To turn off Overtype mode, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the "File" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  3. In the Word Options dialog box, click on "Advanced" in the left-hand menu.
  4. Scroll down to the "Editing options" section and uncheck the "Use overtype mode" checkbox.
  5. Click "OK" to save your changes.

That should fix the issue with text highlighting.