Jezebel

If by 'formats' you mean styles, you can simply print them out if you are
able to open either the template or the document based on it: select
'Styles' from the 'Print What' dropdown on the Print dialog.

However, you don't really need to do this. Just copy the document to the new
computer. It will contain the styles anyway. Or you can use the organiser to
copy the styles from the document (or indeed the old template) to a new
document or template.

I can understand your not wanting to revisit the old template. But unless
the template has code in it or seriously large quantities of Autotext and
similar, why do you think the crashing was caused by the template rather
than the document itself? Corrupt documents -- particularly when large --
are much more common than corrupt templates.

"Brian Bischof" wrote in message
I had a template for a project a while back that had the proper layout but
for some reason it was very buggy and kept crashing Word. I spent a lot of
time on this newsgroup trying to fix it and even sent the template to an
expert for review. Nothing worked and I managed to finish the project with

few strands of hair left. Now I need to work on the document again and I
want to avoid this template at all costs. I'm going to install Word 2003

on
a brand new computer and create a new template from scratch. Is there a

way
I can document the properties of the old template so I can just add all

the
formatting into a new Word 2003 template? My problems last year were so
nightmarish (it was a large book that crashed every couple of minutes),

that
I can't risk repeating them.

Also, please don't send me suggestions on fixing the old template. I spent
way too much time with way too many people to repeat that process again. I
just want to start from scratch this time.

Any ideas for documenting the formats in a template?

Thanks,

Brian Bischof
www.CrystalReportsBook.com