Jackie D

Ok, I think I'm clearer now...

But if I could just make sure?

Is the normal.dot template the global template? Or is that the regular
template?

I quite often make changes to the normal.dot template (say to change the
font from Times New Roman to Arial) or I create heading styles in the new
template then save it as a new normal.dot template (and deleting the old
one). I always thought I was altering the global template but it sounds like
I'm not doing anything of the sort.

And I have created keyboard shortcuts (using the same method as above) but
when I open a new template the keyboard shortcuts have usually disappeared.

Just one last question: I created a macro based on the normal.dot template
(to save a file to two locations), then I modified that template and re-saved
it (again using my renaming method) but when I opened a new document (File
New) the macro had disappeared so I had to fish it out of the recycle bin.
What's the best way to ensure I don't accidentally delete templates with
vital macros in them?

Sorry for so many questions but it's amazing how much I still don't know
about Word given that I've been using it for so many years!
--

Many thanks
JD

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

Hi Jackie

A 'regular' template and a global template are the same kind of file. That
is, structurally they can hold the same kinds of things. What they do, and
how you use them, depends on how you use them. (If that seems mad, consider
a large book in a bookshop. Put it on the floor in front of a door and it
functions as a doorstop. Put it on a shelf and it functions as stock.)

You can base a document on a 'regular' template. You use a regular template
by doing File New and using it as the basis for a new document.

A global template functions as an add-in. You use a global template by doing
Tools Templates and Add-ins and adding it to the list. If you get bored
doing that, then you can store the file, or a shortcut to the file, in your
Word startup folder, then the global template will be loaded as an add-in
every time you start Word.

A global template does four (and only four) things. It makes toolbars,
keyboard shortcuts, macros and autotexts available to all open documents.

By contrast, the toolbars, keyboard shortcuts, macros and autotexts in a
'regular' template are available (that's available, not stored in) only to
documents based on that template.

For further reading:
What do Templates and Add-ins store?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...latesStore.htm

What is the relationship between a Word document and its template?
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/temp...ons\index.html

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Perhaps I should know this already but ...

I'm using Word 2000. Can somebody explain, simply, the difference between
global template and a so-called 'regular' template? I thought they were
the
same thing!

I have moved the default loaction of the normal.dot template to a My
Documents (on a different drive). Is this the regular template or the
global
template? And what are the key differences between the two?
--

Many thanks
JD