Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
gjupp via OfficeKB.com gjupp via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Using dates during mail merge

Many thanks indded for this. I will try it out over the coming weekend and
let you know the result.
I am very grateful for your time

Graham Mayor wrote:
It appears there were two issues that prevented this from working here as
intended

1. I was using an ASK field to collect the date to compare thus

{ ASK MyDate "Start Date" \d { Date \@ "dd/MM/yyyy} \o }{ SKIPIF {
MERGEFIELD Date2 } "{ REF MyDate \@ "d " \*Ordinal}{ REF MyDate \@ " MMMM
yyyy" }" }

Unfortunately I was using one of my test data files which also had a field
called MyDate (unused in the merge) which conflicted with the bookmark of
the same name. With that fieldname changed it worked.

2. This construction will not work for a range of dates eg

{ ASK MyDate "Start Date" \d { Date \@ "dd/MM/yyyy} \o }{ SKIPIF {
MERGEFIELD Date2 } "{ REF MyDate \@ "d " \*Ordinal}{ REF MyDate \@ " MMMM
yyyy" }" }

for that type of range you cannot compare dates with ordinal fields and must
revert to the switch I posted earlier. You cannot derive a date in the
format \@ "yyyyMMdd" from a field containing ordinal text.

Seems OK in both 2003 and 2000, with or without the quotes, which
leads me to wonder whether we are attempting the same thing and/or

[quoted text clipped - 86 lines]