Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
me13013 me13013 is offline

Default Aligning figures to bottom of page, WITH working bookmarks

On Oct 16, 11:41 am, Henk57
wrote:
Bob: here is a trick I use for captions with figures. Make a paragraph
for figures (eg BodyText_Fig). This allows you to select "Keep with
next" (which would be the caption) and set space for/after settings
consistently for yr document. If you set yr default inserting of
pictures to In line with text you can simply put yr cursor in the
BodyText_Fig paragraph, and select Insert/Picture/From file...
I also use separate styles for captions for figures and tables, as the
latter is set as keep with next (and not the fig caption), and they
both have different spacings for/after.

What you are calling "paragraph" is called a "atyle" on my version.
And I have set up styles for paragraphs and captions, like you
describe.

Trust me, I have a large book (and growing) with a 20 + page TOC, TOF,
LOT and with Appendices with different heading levels. The TOC works
impeccably since its conception. ...

OK. I trust that the TOC works for you. Didn't work for me in the
version of Word I was using in the late 1990s on some version of the
windows OS. I was maintaining an interface spec, about 100 pages.
I'd edit the spec, it'd look fine, I'd update the TOC and more often
than not the TOC was replaced by a string of maybe 75 random looking
digits. And I generally had to update the TOC after any change
because I had to print a paper copy to commit to the ISO9000 vault.
This seemingly never-ending battle finally ended when a co-worker
figured out the magic secret. You had to disable revision tracking
(or something like that) while you updated the TOC. What stuck in my
mind from that was (1) Be wary of Word's TOC support, and (2) Be wary
any time you try to use a combination of features in Word. As I
pointed out somewhere else in this thread, I am still working around
another combo-feature bug (insert footnot while in split window--
crash!), so I feel point 2 is a very good rul of thumb for Word users.

Thanks for you help,
Bob H