Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Default MICROSOFT WORD SHOULD NOT BE RACIST

I don't know why somebody dug this several months old thread out
again...
The answer why Muslim is not automatically capitalized is because there
are two alternatives spell check suggests for it (Muslim and muslin).
Christianity and Judaism are automatically capitalized for the OP,
because spell check only sees one alternative to the lower case spelling
(the upper case one) and the AutoCorrect setting "Automatically use
suggestions from the spelling checker" is on.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

" wrote in message

Hi ?B?c2Vja2xlYmVu?=,

When I enter the word "Muslim" in lower-case in Microsoft word, it does not
automatically capitilize it. However, when I enter any other faith, like
Christianity, or Judaism, or even Hinduism, it automatically capitilizes the
word. I would like to know why this is. I'd appreciate a quick response or
else I will go to the media.

In my version of Word (2003) it's marked as "incorrect" and the spelling
suggestion is capitalized. It's just not in the AutoCorrect, but it wouldn't be
any big deal for you to put it there...

And as a side note: I don't think "racist" is the correct descriptive term. As
far as I know people of many races are Muslim. It seems to me to be racist to
expect only certain races would belong to that (or any of the other listed)
belief... You might accuse the software of being religiously discriminatory, but
certainly not racist.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org